On December 20, 2007, the IRS released a redesigned Form 990, Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax, for tax year 2008 (to be filed in 2009 and later years). The new form incorporates comments and suggestions from the over 650 e-mails and letters received during the comment period, which closed on September 14, 2007.
The redesign of Form 990 is based on three guiding principles: enhancing transparency, promoting tax compliance, and minimizing the burden on the filing organization.
- Press release (IR-2007-204)
- Overview of Form 990 redesign
- Background paper on Form 990 redesign
- Form 990 Redesign Forms and Highlights
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Discussion Draft (June 14, 2007)